Monday, January 17, 2011

New Recipe of the Week #1: Roasted Poblano and Sweet Potato Enchiladas

tasty sweet potato enchiladas
photo stolen here

My sister Melissa was in town visiting on her way from California back to Portland via Utah and Idaho last weekend. (Confusing? Yes. Must be nice to have a month off with no obligations.) It was super fun having her here and spending time together (even if I/we were both really tired and kinda lazy the whole time). But we did manage to kick off my new year's resolution of making a new recipe every week with this awesome little gem: Roasted Poblano Pepper and Sweet Potato Enchiladas. Sound weird? Trust me. You won't regret trying this.

For the sake of playing catch-up on recipes and because this one is kinda long, I'm going to spare myself the agony of transcribing the recipe. But I will give some helpful hints that will make it extra tasty.

(1) This is actually 2 recipes in 1. In order to make the enchiladas, you have to first make the roasted poblano and sweet potato salad.

(2) The enchilada recipe only makes 4 enchiladas, but the roasted poblano and sweet potato salad makes enough for a TON more (I made a 9x13 pan plus an 8x8 pan worth). So, plan accordingly with the enchilada sauce. You'll need much more than a 10oz can. In fact, I suggest you make enchilada sauce from one of those packets you mix with tomato suace that you buy in the mexican food aisle, rather than use the canned variety. It would make the recipe that much better. You'll probably need closer to 30oz of sauce for this recipe. A 28oz can sufficed, but was just a bit dry.

(3) An entire bunch of cilantro is a lot of cilantro. I used about half a bunch and it was plenty cilantro-y for me, but I'm not the hugest cilantro fan. You may or may not want all of it, is all I'm saying.

We paired this with some spanish style rice - Melissa's culinary crafting - and it was delicious.

Thanks Melissa for co-tackling the first recipe of the year. I always love an evening of cooking with wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment