Saturday, February 12, 2011

Irrational Fear Conquered

I had a feeling that I was going to get tired of naming my posts "new recipe #___", I just didn't realize it would happen so soon...

I have never made popcorn on the stove before. Yes, never. And for good reason. I seem to have (had) a completely irrational fear of making popcorn on the stove. Now, I consider myself a fairly able cook (with the embarrassing exception of more grilled cheese burnings than I can count), and capable of most things I set my mind to, and also realize that popcorn shouldn't be a scary thing to make. Yet, there was something keeping me from attempting the stove-top variety for years. Yup, years. I'm not sure whether I was afraid of burning it, or afraid it just wouldn't work, or what exactly the source of the concern was, but it was there. And it was time to stop being ridiculous and get over the irrationality once and for all. So when it came time to decide what treat to bring to Anna's Mardi Gras Party, I knew it had to include popcorn popped on the stove.

Here's the recipe for some pretty tasty Cajun Popcorn:

2.5 quarts popped popcorn
.25 cup butter, melted
1 tsp each: paprika, lemon pepper
.5 tsp each: onion powder, garlic powder
.25 tsp cayenne pepper

Pour butter over warm popcorn. Combine remaining seasonings and sprinkle over popcorn; toss to mix. Bake in 300° oven for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring once.

IMAG0404

Success! Every last kernel popped in my first batch.
Turns out stove-top popcorn is pretty simple. Irrational fear finally conquered.

Why yes I did craft those cute little paper cones to put the popcorn in. Thanks for noticing.

2 comments:

  1. i love the new look!
    also, my roomie discovered this microwaveable container you can pop kernels in the microwave. it has changed my life immeasurably!

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who got to eat this extra yummy popcorn, I have to tell you all that it's tasty tasty. You should all make it. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete