Saturday, February 5, 2011

New Recipe of the Week #3: Cinnamon Waffles and Caramelized Apples

The other night I was seriously craving some waffles. Cinnamon waffles. Like the one's at Bruge's Waffles and Frites in SLC. But it was 11pm - much too late to be making, let alone eating, delicious waffles. So I found this recipe, and determined to wake up early in the morning to make them before work.

The alarm went off at 6:30am. Not a normal hour for me, but I jumped out of bed excited for the much-anticipated waffles. The egg whites had been beaten to soft peaks (impressed?), the batter was mixed, the apples were caramelizing and I was ready to start the waffles. Except that the waffle maker was missing. I had lent it to a friend and forgotten that they had yet to return it. An early morning text failed to alleviate the problem and I proceeded to become ridiculously sad about not getting to eat those waffles for breakfast. I consigned myself to tea while reading some scriptures on the couch when Nicki came out of her room to leave for work and I told her the fateful tale of the missing waffle maker. She too was sad to not have delicious waffles for breakfast.

Jump an hour and a half later. I am ready for work and its 15 minutes before go time - still no waffle maker. I proceed to try to figure out what to have for breakfast: out of cereal, used the last of the eggs in the waffle batter, and oatmeal sounds entirely unappetizing... I'm seriously depressed about this missing waffle maker. But then it dawns on me. Waffles and pancakes are quite similar. Enter second best idea of the day: Make cinnamon pancakes with caramelized apples. Duh.

IMAG0384

And then as soon as I finished eating my pancakes and was running out the door to work, my phone rang and the waffle maker was promptly returned.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment