Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kamas Cabin Adventuring

President's Day Weekend I had the pleasure of heading out into the beauty of Kamas to stay in the Evan's Cabin for a few days with an entirely wonderful group of friends. (Unfortunately Nicki woke up sick the morning of and decided to opt out of coming - smart, but extremely sad and she was missed by all).

Friday night I carpooled up to the cabin with my new friend Dusty (who introduced me to the mildly funny podcast on the way initiating the following podcast post). We arrived at the parking lot just as Sven was about to take off with the snowmobile back to the cabin. Perfect timing. I hopped on the back while Dusty grabbed a tow rope and snowboarded behind - wakeboard style. I may or may not have been really sad to have not brought my snowboard at this point... Along the 5 mile trek to the cabin, we came across friends who were snowshoeing or cross country skiing into the cabin. By the time we reached the cabin we had 3 of us on the snowmobile and 2 on tow ropes behind. Awesome? Duh. I only wish we had photographically captured the moment.

Saturday consisted of the following activities:
  • doing early morning yoga with K-pax and Annie whilst everyone else slept in
  • eating tasty food
  • playing heaps of speed scrabble
  • snowshoeing to the nearby waterfall with the girls (and Ian) while the guys went backcountry skiing
Kamas snowshoeing
Katie, Me, Annie, Ian, Stucki, Ali, Brenna, Rachel, and Lauren
on the bridge at the waterfall
  • building igloos
IMAG0418
Brenna and the Igloo that survived
  • becoming trapped in a freak igloo collapse accident*
  • going inside to warm up after getting soaked to the bone under 5 feet of snow
  • becoming sad at missing out on the fun while everyone else created a sweet tunnel to sled through down the hill (making the most of the igloo collapse)
IMAG0422
  • returning outside to join the sledding adventure (meanwhile bashing my head on the side of the tunnel - sans beanie because it had frozen in the igloo - and cutting my eyebrow... it was a rough, but really fun, afternoon).
IMAG0421
  • trying the sledding tunnel one more time in hopes of a better outcome:

Good thing this video is sideways....
  • eating more delicious food
  • taking 2nd place in my first game of squints (this game involves small objects - in this case a jenga piece - that you hold between your bum-cheeks whilst navigating through an obstacle course created by the other players. intense? awkward? hilarious? yes, yes, and yes!), and unfortunately relinquishing the twister champion title to josh. (fair is fair).
  • spending oodles of quality time with people that I adore


*Igloo Collapse Story: You know how they say that snow is heavy? Really really heavy? Well they weren't lying - or even kidding. Not even a little bit. Its really heavy. So there we were, making an igloo to win the competition. We were digging a tunnel into our igloo from the hill on the side of the yard and meanwhile also digging out the inside of the tunnel. We had piled up snow about 8 feet high and about 9 feet across and packed it down as we went (obviously not well enough though). Lauren and I were inside the igloo digging away, in a down dog (yoga) sort of position throwing snow out between our legs, when suddenly the igloo collapsed, trapping us under 4-5 feet of snow. It instantly went dark and I found myself forced onto my hands and knees with a small pocket of air underneath me (luckily - Lauren ended up flat on her stomach with little air). I pushed back against the snow to absolutely no avail. I knew my friends were on the outside and would get us out, but it. was. scary. I don't know that I could have gotten myself out of that by my own strength. I had nothing against that snow - and it was only a few feet deep. (Possibly had I known no one was outside to dig me out, I maybe could have gotten out... maybe). No more than 45 seconds after the igloo collapsed, I felt someone grab my back and yank me out of the snow. Hallelujah. I hate to imagine what could have happened had either of us been laying on our backs or any other strange position when it happened. It could have been really bad. Fortunately, we were both fine no harm was done. Lesson learned though - snow is heavy and dangerous. No more casually building igloos for me, thank you.

*This post has been entirely too long in the writing... This past month has been kinda crazy in many beautiful and heinous and wonderful and unexpected ways. I'll be doing some more catching up over the coming days. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment